President Magufuli has appointed Mr Tito Esau Mwinuka as the new Managing Director of the Tanzania Electric Supply Company (TANESCO) with immediate effect on 1 January 2017. Before his appointment, Mr Mwinuka was a senior lecturer and head of the University of Dar es Salaam’s department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
On 29 December 2016, the Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA) had after consultations with stakeholders, approved a Tariff Review application from TANESCO that would ultimately result in an 8.53% increase to its tariff. This was subsequently halted by Prof. Sospeter M. Muhongo, Minister for Energy and Minerals on 30 December 2016. On the 1 January 2017, this was followed by the removal of the Managing Director of TANESCO, Felchesmi Mramba and his immediate replacement with Mr Mwinuka.
Mr Mwinuka follows in the footsteps of other senior lecturers from the University of Dar es Salaam who have recently been appointed to government institutions such as:
- Prof Godius Kahyarara, director general of the National Social Security Fund (NSSF).
- Dr Ayoub Rioba, director general of the Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation (TBC).
- Mr Egid Mubofu former head of the Department of Chemical and Mining Engineering, director general of the Tanzania Bureau of Standards (TBS).
- Prof Adolf Mkenda permanent secretary in the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MIT).
- Mrs Justine Ntalikwa, permanent secretary in the Ministry of Energy and Minerals (MEM).
- Dr John Jingu, chairman of the National Economic Empowerment Council (NEEC).
- Prof Longinus Kyaruzi Rutasitara vice chairman of the Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority (TCAA).